In VRoid Studio, you can control the number of polygons of hair by adjusting parameters such as "thickness", "smoothness", "cross-section" etc. You can adjust these parameters at any time, for example in a situation where an app only supports a limited number of polygons.
As a reference, VRoid chat and similar services support up to 20k polygons. The default uniform alone is about 16k polygons, so please try adjusting the hair to fit about 4k polygons. (The number of polygons also depends on the type of clothing)
*The number of polygons on the right was counted using the external 3D modeling tool Metasequoia.
Please note that if your hairstyle is made up of thin strands of hair, the number of polygons will be quite high even by reducing the "smoothness" factor. You can reduce the number of polygons by maintaining the same look by increasing the "thickness" parameter and adding a few thinner strands here and there.
However, decreasing the parameters of the whole model means a rougher finish. To avoid this, please adjust the parameters while balancing the front parts and the rear parts of the model as shown below. You can lower the number of polygons by maintaining the quality of the model by focusing on the detailing of the model's face.
- Adjust the "smoothness" parameter to make the character's bangs look smooth and natural
- Adjust the "width" and "interval" parameters of the rear of the model's head while decreasing the "smoothness" parameter.
This is one of the many character-modeling techniques to make models look better by allocating a higher number of polygons in the most well-visible parts.
▼ Screenshots are taken from the external 3D modeling tool Metasequoia.
- In VRoid Studio, we set the parameters to "smoothness: 15", "cross-section: diamond" → 5496 polygons
- When changed to "smoothness: 7", "cross-section: unfilled triangle" →1304 polygons
- Increasing the "smoothness" of the bangs, decreasing the "smoothness" of the rear hair, increasing the "interval": 1400 polygons
Even though the overall smoothness dropped from 15 to 7, the overall quality was preserved by adjusting the "smoothness" parameter of the bangs back to 15. The number of polygons decreased by 4000, but the model as seen in from the front looks exactly as it did before.
Please also check out the Tweet below.